Friday, May 4, 2007

Alum Creek State Park MTB Trail : Phase I

My favorite ride - 05' Gary Fisher Rig

It could not have been a better evening to hit the single-track and explore the trail for whats changed over the long (& wet) winter we had here in Columbus. The trail has been closed for well over a month, until just recently. The trail is on the outskirts of Alum Creek Reservoir and is mostly low-lying flat terrain with a few rolling ravines and plenty of roots. There are two trails here, a beginner loop (1 mi.) and the intermediate trail (6 mi.) .

The trails are the closest thing to ride for the city of Columbus, so expect a crowd on the weekends, for me I like to ride early in the AM or in the evening to miss the crowds. For the novice rider it takes about 50-55 minutes to ride the 6 miles of the intermediate trail and about 35 minutes for the experienced rider. The trails are maintained by Central Ohio Mountain Bike Organization (COMBO), if you ride the trails - do your part and come help trail build...

I brought my Single Speed Fisher Rig out to ride, it was a Sunny evening - 75 degrees when I started out. And after my 10 mile ride, it had dropped to 71 degrees . I took it easy on the ride with the upcoming race, this weekend, and rode for about an 1 hr. 15 minutes, with a 9.8 mph average. You can always expect to see a variety of wild life on the trails - especially deer. You'll also come across turkey, water-fowl, owls and if you night ride - well watch out for Big Foot on Phase II...
Bad spot for a nest...trail side at Phase I (Sec D)



No comments: